2. The motivation was all over the Facebooks this morning while I was sipping on my coffee and hydrating.
3. I grabbed a GU (Strawberry & Banana) before taking off. I haven't taken food-on-the-run in a long time, and I haven't really had the best luck with timing GU or gels. I've tried going by instruction, by feeling, by "before" feeling; I always end up feeling sooooo yucky and bonky anyway. Testing this out prior to the big day AND being flexible and allowing for a change in routine will be the key to success this time.
4. I decided to NOT take my phone. Sorry, no pictures! It probably looked something like this:
5. I started my run thirty minutes later than I wanted to. The sky was covered by a thin layer of clouds; I prayed that the sun would stay away, at least for a little while. It was 71*F and 80% humidity. Yuck.
I didn't make it past a 1/4 of a mile when a dog scared the ever-living crap out of me, sprinting and barking on the other side of the fence I was running past. I squealed, jerked to the other side of the sidewalk, then laughed. Audibly.
6. I hit mile one and thought "I'll only have one more mile when I get right back to this spot!". Has that ridiculously obvious thought ever crossed your mind when doing an out-and-back long run?
7. Another silly thought: "I have done this distance before several times. It's no different than last time, or the time before that." I'm not sure why I was a little nervous. I knew that I'd hit the distance just fine, but maybe because it's been YEARS since I've run this far? I dunno. I didn't really worry or fret over it, by any means.
8. The sun came out from behind the clouds around mile 4.5. Grrrrrr. I ran in the small amount of shade provided by buildings.
9. I hit the Lakefront Trail. This song came on, and I put that bad boy on repeat.
And I immediately thought of this.
10. I stopped for water. I stood in a line for a minute to get to the water fountain.:) It was warming up very quickly, and a lot of other runners looked really taxed. I just went back to my music and zoned out.
11. Heading back, a new soundtrack came over my headphones that gave me happy feet.
12. Finished my long run and ran up three flights of stairs to our apartment. No achies or tenderness today! I immediately stretched, grabbed some water, and got a smoothie together. Frozen strawberries, almond milk, a banana, and VEGA Sport Recovery Accelerator. #FUELYOURBETTER
13. BUBBLE BATH! Sophs will NOT MIND if I use some of this! And for my viewing pleasure: I liked Gone Girl so much, I wanted to see what else this author had to offer. It was a very relaxing, long bath.
14. My lunch was exquisite. I know it doesn't look like much, but I had a hankerin' for every little bit of it.
15. Josi's. With my run, and Harry's 17 miles done, we dominated.
16. Miles done today. 16.05 miles, to be exact. It's been a while, but training is really coming along very well. All it takes is a little confidence, huh?:)